30th Sep 2022
Vision & Aims
At Thomas Bewick School we aim to enable each pupil to:
- communicate and interact effectively with others and the world around them
- become independent learners
- value themselves and their own achievements and accept and show tolerance of others
- enjoy being part of the school community
- participate in and contribute to the wider social community
- lead a safe, happy and fulfilling lifestyle
Core to these aims is the development of outstanding teaching and learning, an excellent partnership between home and school, positive relationships and networks within the multi-agency setting and the commitment to sharing of our expertise in autism with the wider community.
These aspirations are rooted in:
- pupil-centred learning which takes account of pupils’ communication, sensory and social needs
- a “customised curriculum” to suit the learning needs of pupils 3 to 19 years of age
- celebrations of achievements of pupils, staff and the school
- knowledge and understanding of autism and the stress and difficulties for pupils and their families
- happy and positive relationships between all individuals
- learning partnerships between pupils, staff, parents and professional colleagues
- KINDNESS - is at the heart of everything we do. We endeavour to promote mutual respect, trust and value of all individuals in the school community and beyond.
- ASPIRATION - is what we are fuelled by. We have the highest of aspirations for the children and young people we work with, their families and for ourselves; our staff, our community and those who work with us and support our aims and values.
- INTEGRITY - is what we will act with at all times. We will always do what is best for our children and young people. We will respect difference, embrace diversity and be unrelenting advocates for the wellbeing and character of the children and young people we work with and care for.
- RESILIENCE - is what we seek to build. We never give up on our children and young people or the people who work with us, which means they will not give up on themselves.